Loyola University New Orleans Summer 2011 Italy Study Abroad

Because sometimes, you're not sure about your life or your choices, so you up and take a month-long trip to Italy. Your Roman history is rusty. Your Catholic history is rusty. Your Italian is nearly non-existant. This trip is half-academic, half-pilgrimage, and nothing's certain. But sometimes, you jump off a cliff and hope you land on something soft. Or at least see something pretty on the way down.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

What a Lady, What a Night

I cannot for the life of me get my Lady Gaga videos up here, so if you have Facebook, they're up there. If not, I'm really sorry. Blogger's being such a jerk about this.

Here's an official video that doesn't include me screaming every three seconds.



What I really wanted you guys to see though was her speech that she made. It was sixteen minutes long, and she really said a lot good stuff. Look it up if you have time.

Today, we went to Santa Maria Sopra Minerva, which is the only Gothic church in Rome. St. Catherine of Siena died there, and her body (minus the head, which is in Siena). There's a fountain with an elephant in the front. Bernini did it, and there's an Egyptian pole in the middle of the fountain. I talked with my friend Kirby, who says that people asked Bernini to do the elephant (which took some persuading). He asked people not to look at what he was doing, and the people who commissioned him to do it raised the price while he was doing it, so he apparently made the butt of the elephant point toward those people's houses.

Other theories brought up by Dr. Sebastian included that the elephant was about to defecate.

Catherine was a Dominican and wrote a lot of stuff. She's also the patron saint of philosophers.

Then we went to mass at the Church of the Gesu of Rome and saw St. Ignatius of Loyola's study, including the room where he died and original copies of his spiritual exercises. IT WAS EPIC.

I'm sorry I don't have pictures today--my phone (aka my camera) died!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment