Loyola University New Orleans Summer 2011 Italy Study Abroad

Because sometimes, you're not sure about your life or your choices, so you up and take a month-long trip to Italy. Your Roman history is rusty. Your Catholic history is rusty. Your Italian is nearly non-existant. This trip is half-academic, half-pilgrimage, and nothing's certain. But sometimes, you jump off a cliff and hope you land on something soft. Or at least see something pretty on the way down.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Dead Day

Everyone on my floor has been getting ready for some hotel party for about six hours. I kind of wonder if they're ever going to get around to actually leaving for said party.

Today, we were all supposed to go to the Forum, but we got a surprise when we got downstairs and found out that we weren't going to have a trip right away; rather, we were going to have class. This threw some of us into a tizzy, but class ended up being sort of a tie-together session as well as informative (I officially know a lot about sarcophagi), so that wasn't that bad. The Forum ended up being optional, so even though my topic of expertise was there (Temple of Vesta), I opted to stay in because of the rain (and also because I totally forgot that the temple was there). I did a lot of work and research as well as took a five-hour nap (I hadn't known I was so tired).

So I was pretty boring, until in the middle of typing this, I ended up going out with the others. I think I needed that too. I'd been inside the dorm room for too long. Also too much studying.

I did extra research on sarcophagi and there's this theory that the Romans adopted the practice after people started to internalize death. I'm not exactly sure what that means, but this is probably because I can't imagine NOT internalizing death.

I'm sorry I'm so boring today, guys! Tomorrow will be better. Also, I just found out that the Rome gay pride parade's on Saturday. I'm sooooooo there. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment