Loyola University New Orleans Summer 2011 Italy Study Abroad

Because sometimes, you're not sure about your life or your choices, so you up and take a month-long trip to Italy. Your Roman history is rusty. Your Catholic history is rusty. Your Italian is nearly non-existant. This trip is half-academic, half-pilgrimage, and nothing's certain. But sometimes, you jump off a cliff and hope you land on something soft. Or at least see something pretty on the way down.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Last Day Reflections

Everyone else's last day isn't really mine, but I planned on getting the most out of Rome today so I can spend time with everyone and recover tomorrow. Mostly, I just visited sites I loved. Like the Disney Store.



Of course, I visited Populo and walked up and down Corso for a bit. Today wasn't about seeing sites. Today was about reflection. And there's a lot that I learned in Rome--the majority of it has gone into this blog, and I'm very glad I made it so that I can come back to look at it every once in a while.

Coming to Italy has really reawakened my love of culture and also a confidence in myself that I hadn't really seen a lot of this first year in college. It was hard for me to be myself this year because I guess I was just trying to figure out who I was when I wasn't around familiar things. I like the person I see though, and that's good. I really want to put more of different cultures and different people into my studies, and that probably wouldn't have happened without this trip, so I'm very thankful for that.

I've gotten to know so many awesome people on this trip and have heard so many stories. It's only been a month! But I almost wish I was in this kind of situation more often because when people face things that are challenging, they seem to be more open, and you learn more things about people. I have experienced pretty much every emotion under the sun in this country, and I'm not really an emotional person. But I definitely got the experience i wanted, and I feel like I've grown a lot. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment